Call in questions to ‘Gardener’s Corner’
You can call in your gardening and landscape questions during a radio show called “Gardener’s Corner” sponsored by PLANT WNY’s foundation.
“Gardener’s Corner” will be part of the Home Improvement Hour on WBEN 930 AM and will air from 11:30 a.m. to noon Saturday, Sept. 5, 12, 19 and 26.
Chris Zeisz, a lifetime CNLP (certified nursery and landscape professional) and owner of Snyder Ridge Landscaping & Garden Center, will be the host of the show. Guests each week will speak about their own business or specialty in the green industry and answer questions from callers.
PLANT WNY is a non-profit group for green industry professionals in Western New York.
Awards presented on ‘Every Garden Tells a Story’ theme
Visitors to Plantasia, Western New York’s garden and landscape show, loved the full-scale gardens built inside the Fairgrounds. The event, held March 18-22, is presented by PLANT WNY.
The theme for 2015 was “Every Garden Tells a Story.”
Here are the award winners:
- Overall Best of Show: Niagara County Community College Horticulture Program &
McKinley Continuing Education
- Best Garden (Large): Menne Nursery Garden Artistry
- Best Garden (Small): Beyond the Basics
- Best use of Plant Material (Large Garden): Menne Nursery Garden Artistry
- Best use of Plant Material (Small Garden): Beyond the Basics
- Best use of Segmented Units Hardscapes (Large Garden): Restorff’s Landscape Service
- Best use of Segmented Units Hardscapes (Small Garden): Nature’s Design
- Best use of Free Form (Large Garden): Chevalier Outdoor Living & Buffalo Tree House LLC
- Best use of Water (Large Garden): A Growing Business, Inc.
- Best use of Water (Small Garden): Nature’s Design
- Best use of Color: Menne Nursery Garden Artistry
- Best Vendor Green: Vermont Nature Creations
- Best Vendor Equipment/Hardscapes: Ripple Pottery
- Guest Director’s Choice Award: Menne Nursery Garden Artistry
- People’s Choice Award: Menne Nursery Garden Artistry
Nurserymen’s Foundation awards two scholarships
The foundation of PLANT WNY, the WNY Nurserymen’s Association Foundation, has awarded scholarships to two students.
Kristin Colvin, a student at Niagara County Community College (NCCC), has been awarded the George O. Adams & Kenneth E. Isaac Memorial Scholarship.
Maureen Daley, also an NCCC student, has been awarded the Fred Howarth Memorial Scholarship.
The George O. Adams and Kenneth E. Isaac Scholarship is named after garden industry leaders through the 1950’s and 1960’s. Together George and Kenneth started Buffalo Garden Supply in 1953 and operated very successfully until they sold it and retired in 1965. Kenneth Isaac was the first Man of the Year recipient of the WNYSNLA. George O. Adam’s family continues to support the scholarship fund each year in memory of George O. Adams and Kenneth E. Isaac.
The Fred Howarth Memorial Scholarship is recently named by the Foundation trustees in memory of Fred Howarth. Fred was former owner and president of Menne Nursery and one of the founders of the WNY Nurseryman’s Association Foundation. Fred was also a very active member of WNYSNLA, a past president (1968) and recipient of the Man of the Year Award (1975).
Applications to apply for a scholarship and are accepted twice a year – fall and spring. Applications are due June 15, 2015 for the fall 2015 semester and Oct. 15, 2015 for the spring 2016 semester. Please contact Joyce at (716) 741-8047 for more information.
WNYSNLA is now known as PLANT WNY
The Western New York State Nursery and Landscape Association, a not-for-profit corporation of green industry professionals, has changed its name to Professional Landscape And Nursery Trades Western New York. For short, you can call it PLANT WNY.
PLANT WNY includes teachers, nurseries, garden centers, growers, landscape architects, landscapers, tree care firms and lawn care firms.
It funds the Western New York State Nurserymen’s Foundation, which makes scholarships available to college students who show promise and interest in the industry. The foundation supports all educational activities held by the association throughout the year.