Grow rose bush from wedding bouquet– or use any roses you get from the florist

October 15, 2013

David Clark propagate rose from wedding bouquetby Connie Oswald Stofko

A reader came across the story we did awhile back on starting plants from cuttings and left a question in the comments section.

“How do I root roses from the florist?” asked Tina Strength. “How do I start them rooting and growing?”

This question intrigued me. It never even occurred to me that you might be able to grow a plant from a rose you get in a bouquet from the florist.

I turned to David Clark, the local horticulturist who teaches the series of horticulture class at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens. He says that yes, you can indeed start a plant from a cut rose, and he shows us how to do that in this video.

This is such a cool idea! It would be so romantic to have a piece of your wedding bouquet or other special roses growing year after year in your yard. This would also be a fun way to propagate rose plants that no one else in your neighborhood has.

In the video below, Clark shows us step by step how to propagate a rose you get from the florist.

He points out that the plant that results from this propagation technique will be an own-root rose. He explains how that compares to the grafted roses that we usually grow in our gardens in Western New York.

You can learn more about rooting all sorts of plants in Clark’s hands-on class on basic propagation to be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 at the Botanical Gardens, 2655 South Park Avenue, Buffalo. The cost is $20 for Botanical Garden members and $25 for non-members.

And check out these other videos with Clark:

Tags: , , ,

61 Responses to Grow rose bush from wedding bouquet– or use any roses you get from the florist

1. ingrid on May 18, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Hi David thanx for the video im going to give a try..One question how often do i water during the 6-8 week period?

2. ingrid on May 18, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Great video David..im giving it a try.thanx

3. ingrid on May 18, 2015 at 5:17 pm

David i use Dynaroot2 will it work or is it to weak?

4. david clark on May 24, 2015 at 8:17 am

Hi Ingrid!!! I appreciate your comment!!! Once you insert the stem into the rooting container, you do want to keep the perlite moist. Just add water occasionally so it runs out of the top drainage holes.You can tell by the weight of the container — Covering with a plastic bag will minimize addition of water.
    Thank you!!!

5. david clark on May 24, 2015 at 8:22 am

Hi Ingrid!! Dynaroot2 is the perfect rooting hormone for “woodier-type” plants!!!

6. Linda on May 25, 2015 at 8:17 am

So glad I found your video today! I had a beautiful bunch of roses at home-so lovely, that I want to plant the same in my garden. However, my searches online and in our local garden centre were fruitless. Now I have 10 stems in containers and I’m looking forward to seeing what grows! I have dabbled in rooting cuttings before, but only had small success. (Was using a seed raising mix before…) I hope your method will improve the odds. Thank-you!!

7. david clark on May 25, 2015 at 8:35 am

Hi Linda!!! Thank you for watching the video. I hope it will aid you in the process of plant propagation. By the way, this method works with many types of plants!!! Keep me posted!!!

8. Reza on May 25, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Howl long should Rose should be covered by plastic.

9. david clark on May 26, 2015 at 8:38 am

Hi Reza!!!
    What part of the world do you hail from?
    The rose stems should be in a humid area — which is why we use the bag — for the entire rooting time frame. Thank you for your question!!!

10. Helen m Poole on June 24, 2015 at 12:52 pm

David, loved your video, wish I had found it a few months ago. Living here in SouthEast Texas, I usually have good luck with just sticking a cut stem into a good dirt, but have never had any luck with the ones from the florist, Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

11. david clark on June 25, 2015 at 10:21 am

Hi Helen!!
    I am happy to hear you enjoyed the video!!! It is the same process whether using a stem from your garden or a rose from the florist. Since you have been successful with garden rose propagation, I’m hoping you experiment with rose from your local florist!

It is my pleasure to share gardening information – Teach the world to grow One seed at a time!!

Regards,