Grow rose bush from wedding bouquet– or use any roses you get from the florist

October 15, 2013

David Clark propagate rose from wedding bouquetby Connie Oswald Stofko

A reader came across the story we did awhile back on starting plants from cuttings and left a question in the comments section.

“How do I root roses from the florist?” asked Tina Strength. “How do I start them rooting and growing?”

This question intrigued me. It never even occurred to me that you might be able to grow a plant from a rose you get in a bouquet from the florist.

I turned to David Clark, the local horticulturist who teaches the series of horticulture class at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens. He says that yes, you can indeed start a plant from a cut rose, and he shows us how to do that in this video.

This is such a cool idea! It would be so romantic to have a piece of your wedding bouquet or other special roses growing year after year in your yard. This would also be a fun way to propagate rose plants that no one else in your neighborhood has.

In the video below, Clark shows us step by step how to propagate a rose you get from the florist.

He points out that the plant that results from this propagation technique will be an own-root rose. He explains how that compares to the grafted roses that we usually grow in our gardens in Western New York.

You can learn more about rooting all sorts of plants in Clark’s hands-on class on basic propagation to be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 at the Botanical Gardens, 2655 South Park Avenue, Buffalo. The cost is $20 for Botanical Garden members and $25 for non-members.

And check out these other videos with Clark:

Tags: , , ,

78 Responses to Grow rose bush from wedding bouquet– or use any roses you get from the florist

1. ingrid on May 18, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Hi David thanx for the video im going to give a try..One question how often do i water during the 6-8 week period?

2. ingrid on May 18, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Great video David..im giving it a try.thanx

3. ingrid on May 18, 2015 at 5:17 pm

David i use Dynaroot2 will it work or is it to weak?

4. david clark on May 24, 2015 at 8:17 am

Hi Ingrid!!! I appreciate your comment!!! Once you insert the stem into the rooting container, you do want to keep the perlite moist. Just add water occasionally so it runs out of the top drainage holes.You can tell by the weight of the container — Covering with a plastic bag will minimize addition of water.
    Thank you!!!

5. david clark on May 24, 2015 at 8:22 am

Hi Ingrid!! Dynaroot2 is the perfect rooting hormone for “woodier-type” plants!!!

6. Linda on May 25, 2015 at 8:17 am

So glad I found your video today! I had a beautiful bunch of roses at home-so lovely, that I want to plant the same in my garden. However, my searches online and in our local garden centre were fruitless. Now I have 10 stems in containers and I’m looking forward to seeing what grows! I have dabbled in rooting cuttings before, but only had small success. (Was using a seed raising mix before…) I hope your method will improve the odds. Thank-you!!

7. david clark on May 25, 2015 at 8:35 am

Hi Linda!!! Thank you for watching the video. I hope it will aid you in the process of plant propagation. By the way, this method works with many types of plants!!! Keep me posted!!!

8. Reza on May 25, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Howl long should Rose should be covered by plastic.

9. david clark on May 26, 2015 at 8:38 am

Hi Reza!!!
    What part of the world do you hail from?
    The rose stems should be in a humid area — which is why we use the bag — for the entire rooting time frame. Thank you for your question!!!

10. Helen m Poole on June 24, 2015 at 12:52 pm

David, loved your video, wish I had found it a few months ago. Living here in SouthEast Texas, I usually have good luck with just sticking a cut stem into a good dirt, but have never had any luck with the ones from the florist, Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

11. david clark on June 25, 2015 at 10:21 am

Hi Helen!!
    I am happy to hear you enjoyed the video!!! It is the same process whether using a stem from your garden or a rose from the florist. Since you have been successful with garden rose propagation, I’m hoping you experiment with rose from your local florist!

It is my pleasure to share gardening information – Teach the world to grow One seed at a time!!

Regards,
    David Clark

12. Jennifer Lee on January 14, 2016 at 12:25 am

David, thank you for posting this video. I’ve always wanted to become a horticulturist. My house is like a jungle, full of plants that I propagated. I look forward to seeing more videos and learning more. I will let you know my end results.Thanks again

13. david clark on January 15, 2016 at 7:22 am

Hi Jennifer! Thank you for your kind comment — I am glad you enjoyed this video!Congratulations on your propagation successes–I do have more videos on YouTube including: “How to Dry Roses” and also “Innuendo: The Secret Sex Lives of Plants”. I hope you will take a look!!

Regards,
    David Clark

14. gauri arora on February 1, 2016 at 6:23 am

happy to see the simple steps to grow roses of my first anniversary bouquet… I from New Delhi. I need to ask one thing…If i buy a pot with soil from market and dip the cur branch in that pot and keep it for 3-5 weeks,,,would it grow ? hope to get ur reply Thanks.,.,

15. MaddieH on February 17, 2016 at 5:33 pm

This would be wonderful to do with my valentine bouquet. Do you have to use the rooting agents or is there any way to grow them without the special mixtures?

16. david clark on March 30, 2016 at 7:30 am

Hi Gauri! Greetings to you from New Delhi! Using a rooting powder will assist you in rooting the stems. Then inserting the stems in the pot with soil and covering it then with a bag should give you good results!

17. david clark on March 30, 2016 at 7:33 am

Hi Maddie! I do recommend using rooting powder as it contains fungicide and plant growth regulators to give good results. Regular garden soil is usually too dense for satisfactory rooting of stems. A soil-less mix would work best!

18. Lulu Berg Nicolaisen on March 31, 2016 at 4:48 am

Hi David
    This is Lulu from Denmark 🙂 Thank you som much for this video.
    I just got som flowers from the florist and they look like the are already growing a little in the vase, not roots but buds or stems?? I have to get these beautyfull roses in my garden. I’m so happy 🙂 I love roses <3

19. David Clark on March 31, 2016 at 11:23 am

Hi Lulu!! Greetings to Denmark! Signs of growth on the stems are an indication that there is a lot of energy in them and and they may be used for propagation!
    Best Wishes,
    David

20. judith hawkens on June 6, 2016 at 7:34 am

David, A favorite rose of mine, Fourth of July, has struggled for the past years in our New York winters. This year I have better blooming on the healthy looking plant, but new growth at the base is showing what I assume is the graft plant. Is there a way to save my Fourth of July? Judy

21. Maria Solis on June 6, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Hello I loved your video
    I have a question Does the container has any hole ok n the bottom ?
    And what is the name of the powder that you apply to the rose after you wet and before you plant it on the port?
    Also I have a rose that start to grow green parts on the side of the trunk.
    Should I use the same procedure?

22. Tanjila Ahmed on July 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Hi David can I grow a lemon tree in a way as you did with the rose clips, do you have an advice for me to grow lemon tree. Best regards. Tanjila

23. David Clark on July 9, 2016 at 10:43 am

Hello Judith!
    As beautiful as roses are, our western New York winters sure can be rough on them. The rose your are speaking of is also known by the names of “Crazy For You” and “Hanabi”. My research tells me that it is hardy to Zone 5 (which we are), but sometimes our winter temperatures and windy conditions can be detrimental to roses. You are correct in assuming that the vigorous growth at the base of the plant is arising from the root-stock of the graft. I would recommend PULLING off not pruning out that growth using a gloved hand. Perhaps that process will push new energy to the budded desirable part of the rose bush. You can also try rooting some of the top stems, although the root system on “own root” roses may be less hardy. I am not sure if you are growing “Fourth of July” in a climbing condition or as a bush form, but winter protection using burlap, or wire cylinders filled with straw and leaves is essential for growing roses in western New York. And – should you be a resident of Hamburg, I believe that we have met before!
    Keep me posted on your successes!
    Regards,
    David Clark

24. David Clark on July 9, 2016 at 10:47 am

Hello Maria Solis!
    The propagating container does not have holes in the bottom, only in the top to monitor the water level. The powder that I dip the stem into is a rooting hormone that has fungicide and plant growth regulators to assist in the propagation procedure. You may be successful rooting those green side shoots once they grow to a length of 6″. Prune them off the stock plant and proceed as in the video.
    Keep me posted on your success!
    Regards,
    David Clark

25. David Clark on July 9, 2016 at 10:56 am

Hello Tanjila!
    Yes, you sure can use the same procedure to root stems of your lemon tree. Proceed with the process as in the video, and pot up the rooted stems. Once they have a good root system, they may be planted outside. I gather from your name that perhaps you hail from Arabia…You should be able to grow lemon trees outside in your land. They prefer a well-drained, slightly acidic soil with applications of a citrus-type fertilizer.
    Thank you for your question!
    Regards,
    David Clark

26. Tanjila Ahmed on July 9, 2016 at 11:01 am

Thank you for your quick reply, my name is Arabic but I’m in beautiful North Carolina.

27. David Clark on July 9, 2016 at 11:33 am

Hi Tanjila – What a wonderful place to be living in!! Thank you for the clarification!
    Regards,
    David

28. Tanjila Ahmed on July 10, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Hi David, I planted pomegranate seeds about five years ago, the plant is beautiful, healthy. I feed the plant on regular basis.
    I use bloom booster in the summer,I bring the plant inside in the winter months. I trim the plant in the fall, but didn’t get any fruit yet. What can I do to encourage fruiting.
    On the other hand I planted a guava seed, the plant is eight years old, past two years I have been getting guava in my plant.
    I’m very proud of myself,I wish I would get the same result on my pomegranate plant, please advice me.Best regards, Tanjila